Keeping your carpets clean is no easy task. You are constantly barraged by enemies like stains and spots from Sunday’s night’s meatball and sauce or Monday morning’s coffee. However, once you do end up with a dirty carpet, cleaning it up is a huge problem – especially for your wallet. As the proud owner of a dirty carpet, you have a few choices ahead of you –
- Hire professionals to give your carpet a thorough cleaning using professional instruments.
- Buy expensive cleaning solutions to use on your stained carpet.
- Make your own cleaning solutions for the different stains you need to remove.
Let’s look at a breakdown of what makes the best homemade carpet cleaning solution.
What is your plan of attack?
A good choice for cleaning your carpets are industrial grade carpet cleaners. These can be used with either a store-bought solution, which means that you will have to pay a hefty sum to get a good cleaning solution. Or, you can make your own.
There are several ways to make your own cleaning solution, namely, from household ingredients. Thankfully, your choices on the matter are not limited, it just depends on the challenge you are facing.
The ingredients work well on their own for getting to specific stains or otherwise. But for a good clean with a fresh fragrance right after, you need to mix some specific ingredients together.Now, there are different solutions for different purposes. However, each solution is tailored for a specific scenario, so choosing the best homemade solution will vary depending on the scale of your mess and the ingredients available to you.
- For something to give the standard commercial cleaner a run for its money, try combining about two tablespoons of liquid laundry detergent, then add in about a quarter of a cup of liquid all-purpose cleaner. Add in a scoop the famous OxiClean, along with a teaspoon of fabric softener. After a slight mix, pour in about a gallon of water.
- A truly homemade solution to tackle foul-smelling carpets can be made quite simply. Mix in a cup of white vinegar two teaspoons of salt and about 15 drops of essential oil, preferably lemon into two cups of water and you are good to go.
- Another common solution that is popular among homegrown carpet cleaning solution enthusiasts would be a combination of lemon and peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide on its own is a powerful cleaner, however, combining it with lemon, which is great for dealing with grease is a great way to fight off stenches. To make this simple solution:
- Get a clean bucket, and drop in about a cup of hydrogen peroxide.
- Then, add in about one and a half cup of water.
- Pour in 5 drops of lemon essential oil
- Combine thoroughly and you are ready to go.
At the end of your ordeal, you should end up with a fresh carpet that looks and feels great along with a fantastic fragrance, which is a great advantage over the chemical stench left by somecommercial cleaners.