Whenever you have a dirty carpet lying on your living room floor, you might have thought about giving it a good wash and cleaning it up to freshen it up. However, you are quickly faced with the fact that cleaning the carpet will be quite costly whether you hire help or take it upon yourself with the help of some expensive cleaning products. Fortunately, here are some of the best carpet cleaning tips that can help you with your endeavors. Moreover, utilizing these tips and making it a habit to clean up a mess properly right when it happens will help keep your cleaning costs low and your carpet fresh for longer periods of time.
Fighting tough stains, made easy
Stains are a natural enemy of carpets, and they happen to find themselves on your carpet quite frequently. Therefore, you should quickly act on the stains once one appears, or else it will be much harder to clean up later on. Here are some tips for fighting stains:
- Do not dig, rub or scrub the stain. This will quickly damage the fibers of the carpet, create a fuzzy area and work the stain into the carpetmore, leaving you with a much harder job.
- Club soda, shaving cream,and vinegar are your allies when it comes to stains. Therefore, try using these simple ingredients available in your home to quickly tackle the stain. You should try this before any stronger chemical solutions as those have a tendency to damage your carpet as well.
- Act quickly but be patient. The faster you get to work on the stain the easier it will be to get rid of it, however, you must not rush. Using a cloth dipped in some cleaning solution, and amounts of pressure, bloat the affected area and keep doing so until the stain starts to disappear. To get the best results and prevent the stain from spreading out more, start from the outside and work inward into the stain.
The proper way to vacuum
It should go without saying that vacuuming your carpet is a good way to deal with grime and dirt build up over time. But doing it often, say once a week, is far more effective than once a month depending on whether or not you have pets. Vacuuming often prevents the fibers in your carpet from becoming damaged. Here are some of the best vacuuming tips:
- If you’ve got a large carpet, try dividing up the area into quadrants and conquer each of them one at a time.
- Work slowly, as sometimes the dirt and other particles can be deeply embedded and to get them out you’ll need to go over a spot several times before it has been properly cleaned.
- Use a nozzle for the hard to reach areas and give them special attention as these areas are usually the dirtiest.
- Try to maintain a vacuuming schedule.
Perhaps the biggest tip to keep your carpet clean would be to clean it often. This is less costly, more manageable and much easier than forcing yourself to clean your carpet every once in a while and having to deal with a huge mess.